Deputy Mayor Steven Cotter & Dawn Gouthro (right) presenting Barb Burns with the 2016 Florence Gouthro Memorial Volunteer of the Year Award! (April 13, 2016)
2016 Florence Gouthro Memorial Volunteer of the Year Recipient:
arb Burns has been a dedicated volunteer with various groups since the young age of 15 when she volunteered with the local Brownie Group at St. George’s Church (New Glasgow, NS). She chose to volunteer because she enjoys being around people, saw they needed help and is great with children! Those are still some of the reasons she continues to volunteer today. Barb believes you get even more out of being a volunteer than what you put into it!
Barb has volunteered with a variety of groups during her many years of volunteer work. She volunteered with the John Howard Society for 17 years. She was a member of the Town’s Recreation & Leisure Services Committee & active with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Pictou County mentoring program. Her wide array of volunteering has seen her as a preschool Hop, Skip & Jump leader at the YMCA & a Brownie Leader at Christ the King Church. She also taught religious studies there & at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Pictou Landing First Nation.
She has been a very active volunteer with the Friends of Trenton Park Society taking the lead on getting donations & helping with Family Fun Days. Barb has been a volunteer for Trenton Parks & Recreation for over 10 years popping by to help with anything from flower bed maintenance, program registrations, distributing school flyers, & even cleaning the Trenton Park office. She volunteers at the Pictou Landing First Nation School with her husband Vernon as an in-school mentor with their music and library programs. She helped organize an elder group there as well. Barb’s most recent volunteer work includes visiting the Ivey’s Terrace Nursing Home where she spends time with residents, by taking them to music & playing games. The Town of Trenton is lucky to have such a dedicated and inspiring volunteer as Barb Burns!
Congratulations to all of our AMAZING nominees this year! Thank you for everything you do for our community!
2016 Volunteer Representatives
- Albion Boxing Club - Gary Callaghan
- Communities in Bloom - Kiltie Murphy
- First United Church - Phyllis Glenn
- Friends of Trenton Park Society - Barb Burns
- Nova Scotia International Student Program - Kate & Tom Mooney
- Royal Canadian Legion Branch 29 - Harry Fraser & Cindy MacLean
- Trenton Church of the Nazarene - Ralph Daling
- Trenton Elementary School - Marion Forward
- Trenton Fire Department - William Ehler
- Trenton FunFest Committee - Jennifer O'Hearn
- Trenton Middle School - Darlene Anderson
- Trenton Minor Hockey Association - Leamon Hayden
- Trenton Parks & Recreation - Kim DeWolfe
- VON Pictou County - Jim Aucoin