Mayor MacKinnon & Sandra DeGruchy with the Florence Gouthro Memorial Volunteer of the Year Plaque!
2015 Florence Gouthro Memorial Volunteer of the Year Recipient:
As stated by Sandra in the Pictou Advocate in 2013, “Volunteering is in my blood. My mother was well aware of what it took to raise10 kids in a community and the community was good to us. She raised us to give back.” sandra was a founding member of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Trenton Fire Department. She was also one of the founding members of Trenton Funfest and marked a quarter of a century volunteering for the annual festival in 2013. In addition, Sandra has also been a very active member of the Kinette Club of New Glasgow, where she has held all club positions and chaired numerous events, raising funds for her community. She has received several Kinette awards including Life Membership. Sandra has also been involved with Pictou County MADD, spending over 15 years raising awareness about the impact of impaired driving. As well, she has spent many years volunteering with other organizations such as The Shepherd’s Lunchroom and has canvassed for heart and stroke, diabetes and cancer. She has also been seen walking on the coldest night of the year campaign for the LifeShelter. The Town of Trenton is grateful for all of Sandra’s volunteer work and thanks her for all that she does for her community.
Congratulations to all of our AMAZING nominees this year! Thank you for everything you do for our community!
2015 Volunteer Representatives
- Albion Boxing Club - Peter MacIntosh & Peter Bennett
- Christ the King Parish - Sister Mary McMahon & Sister Marie Smith
- Communities in Bloom - Paula Richards
- First United Church - Allan Cameron
- Friends of Trenton Park Society - Lil Livingstone
- LifeShelter - Terri Stewart
- Pictou Co. Ground Search & Rescue - William Cummings & Paul Demetre
- Pictou Co. Health Authority - Phyllis Hermillon & Doug Simpson
- Pictou Co. Seniors' Festival - Diane Wilsack
- Royal Canadian Legion Branch 29 - Jan MacNeil & Joseph MacPherson
- Summer Street Industries - Archie Kontuk
- Trenton Fire Department - Mike Casey & William Ehler
- Trenton FunFest Committee - Sherri MacDonald
- Trenton Parks & Recreation - Jessie Falcitelli
- Trenton Steeltown Friendly Group - Dorothy Munro
- VON Pictou County - Jim Aucoin