Gary Boone Leadership Fund
The Highland Region Recreation Coordinators Association (HRRCA) formally announced the renaming of their Leadership Development Fund to the Gary Boone Leadership Fund at the Annual Recreation Nova Scotia Conference on October 22, 2013.
Gary Boone was the N.S. Department of Sport and Recreation’s Regional Representative for the Highland Region (Antigonish, Guysborough and Pictou County) from the mid 70’s to 2001. Gary was also one of the original staff members of the N.S. Department of Sport and Recreation, now known as the Physical Activity, Sport and Recreation branch of the Department of Health and Wellness.
Gary supported the growth of sport and recreation in the Highland Region in the formative years, providing critical and essential leadership in establishing Recreation Committees/Commissions and full time Recreation Coordinator positions in the region. Gary’s commitment to leadership development, community development, and a strong conviction to collaboration resulted in the establishment of the HRRCA. Gary mentored many municipal recreation coordinators, commission and committee board members as well as countless volunteers in the sport and recreation sector; always with the desired result of building leaders in the Highland Communities.
Gary’s foresight into the value of inter-municipal collaboration helped to sustain the longevity and relevance of the Highland Region Recreation Coordinator’s Association and by extension the association’s ability to deliver joint projects and programs such as this leadership development program. Gary’s professional and volunteer leadership contribution also has a presence in many local, regional, provincial and federal initiatives.
The fund provides financial assistance for individuals wishing to improve their leadership and coaching skills in the physical activity, sport and recreation sector.
"If You Have the Knowledge, You Have the Responsibility"…this is one of the leadership quotes which Gary practiced himself and for which the HRRCA will continue to support and instil in others through the "Gary Boone Leadership Development Fund".
The purpose of the fund is to provide financial assistance to new initiatives in leadership training and development, which result in:
- Increased youth involvement in Physical Activity Leadership Roles.
- Increased and Improved Physical Activity leadership skills of Community Recreation and Sports Leaders.
The fund was developed and designed in a manner that values and adopts the following strategic principles of the Nova Scotia Physical Activity Strategy for Children, Youth and Families:
- "Quality Leadership among service providers is essential to physical activity opportunities that maximize healthy child development"
- The strategy will identify and build on what is currently offered by existing groups, organizations and institutions in the community.
- Collaborative effort among agencies, government and non-government organizations is a proven method of achieving results.
Community Application Program Details
- Applications may be submitted at any time throughout the year and must be submitted prior to event/activity.
- Maximum amount to be funded is 50% of the proposed cost up to a maximum of $500.00 per application
- Eligible cost shareable expenses include instructor fees, accommodation, travel, instructional material, etc.
- Approved contributions will be made upon successful completion of the project and submission of a financial report.
- Organizations must apply on behalf of individual.
Examples of Eligible Projects
- Provide Fitness Leadership Training.
- Providing training or support for Community Leaders, which leads to increased Physical Activity in their programs. (i.e. Boy Scouts/Girl Guide Leaders implementing Physical Activity components in their program).
- Training for sport coaches on how to maximize the amount of physical activity by participants.
For further information on Physical Activity Leadership Development Fund, contact the Municipal Recreation Department in your community:
|Town of Trenton||902-752-1019|
|Town of Stellarton||902-752-8944|
|Town of Westville||902-396-1059|
|Town of Pictou||902-485-4372 x255|
|Town of New Glasgow||902-755-8363|
|Municipality of Pictou County||902-485-8528|
|Municipality of St. Mary's||902-522-2598|
|Municipality of Guysborough||902-533-3508 x223|
|Municipality of Antigonish||902-863-1141|
|Town of Antigonish||902-867-5595|
|NS Dept. of Communities, Culture & Heritage||902-863-7380|