Trenton is served by a central water system supplied by several deep wells. A central treatment plant for the removal of iron and manganese was placed in operation in 1988, and a new reservoir was placed in service in 1989.

Water Department Information

The Town of Trenton's Water Department supplies the Town of Trenton and the County of Pictou (Hillside) with drinking water. To maintain our approvals to withdrawal water and operate the Water Treatment Plant we must perform a variety of chemical tests issued by the Department of Environment and Labour. These tests include weekly bacteria tests from three different locations approved by the Department of Environment and Labour. Chemical analysis for each well is done yearly and treated water is tested daily. Treated water is sent away to an approved laboratory quarterly for certain tests. We also monitor the quantity of water being pumped from each well. These are all measures to protect the water supply and the quality of the water to be able to meet the Canadian Drinking Standards. It has been over ten years since a Boil Water Advisory has been issued for the Town of Trenton.

The employees and council are committed to supply a safe drinking water. To help maintain the water quality, business and homeowners' can make sure their oil tanks are up to industry standards and are not leaking. Oil from leaking tanks and vehicles can enter the ground and may make their way to a well. This could possibly make the well unusable. This also pertains to pesticides and household cleaning supplies, which should be disposed in accordance with the Department of Environment and Labour. With the help of all Trenton residents, Council and the Water Department we can ensure a healthy water supply for the Town of Trenton for many years to come.

What should residents know about a boil water advisory?

This is just a reminder of the procedures taken and how the customers will be notified of the boil water order. Every week the Water Department tests for the presence of bacteria from three different locations (Reservoir, Cornish's Variety and Youth Center). The samples are taken to the hospital and put in an incubator for twenty-four hours. They are then checked for the presence of bacteria. If bacteria is present the Department of Environment and Labour is notified by the hospital and they tell us to issue boil water advisory. The Town would then broadcast this advisory over the radio and also in the newspaper. We may also put notices in the mail.

The Water Department would proceed to increase the amount of chlorine used for disinfection and flush some water mains to produce a higher chlorine residual in the distribution system. Samples would be taken each day to the hospital to be tested for bacteria. We need three days of bacteria free samples before the boil water advisory can be removed. The customers would be advised on the radio that the boil water advisory has ended.

During the boil water advisory, all water should be boiled for at least two minutes before using. This would include drinking, cooking, washing and for personal hygiene. In closing, the Water Department follows all regulations issued by the Department of Environment and Labour to ensure a safe drinking water supply for its customers.

Vacant Houses During Winter

The Public Works department would like to urge homeowners who have vacant homes during the winter months to request their water be turned off. Whether the house is on the real estate market or the homeowner is away for an extended period of time, certain precautions should be taken. Please ensure your water lines are drained, this will prevent the water lines from freezing and splitting causing water damage to your property. If you are planning to heat the home in your absence, your water lines should be safe from potential damage. Draining the water lines is the responsibility of the home owner; however, if you have any questions, please contact:

Stan Vachal
Water Treatment Supervisor
Phone: 902-752-1450

Water Turn On / Shut Off Requests

Residents must fill out an "Application for Water" form to have water shut off / turned on. 

Forms can be picked up at Town Hall or found here: APPLICATION FOR WATER FORM

Submit forms to:
Trenton Town Hall
120 Main Street
Trenton, NS